How can you improve your mood, decrease stress, and add years to your life? It’s simple, exercise. The numerous health benefits of regular exercise are hard to ignore.
- Weight management- this seems obvious, if you exercise regularly you have an easier time controlling your weight. Even if you can’t make it to the gym here are some simple ways to get in your exercise: take the stairs, park further away, and amp up your daily chores.
- Disease prevention- increase your good cholesterol, decrease bad cholesterol, and lower blood pressure. Exercise also helps to manage diabetes, arthritis, and cancer. This is just to name a few.
- Boost your mood- if you are feeling stressed or bummed out, exercise releases chemicals in the brain that make you feel better. It can even make you feel more confident.
- Sleep better- exercise can help you fall asleep faster and reach a deeper sleep.
- Exercise can be fun- Exercise with a friend, spend time outside, or just do something you love. This will keep you engaged and coming back for more.
So, how much exercise does one need to reap all of these benefits? Aim for 150 minutes of moderate activity every week. Mix in some weight training, flexibility work, and cardiovascular exercise. Switching up your exercise routine from day to day keeps your body guessing and will help you achieve all of these great benefits. If it has been awhile since you have exercised you should consult your doctor before starting exercise.